If you plan on having more than one child, then something that lots of people often discuss is the age gap between the children. There is much debate over what the best age gap is between two children, but it is generally accepted that somewhere between 18-24 months is the best option.
Of course, things don’t always go to plan, but if you do achieve this age gap, you will have a toddler and a newborn at the same time.
Having one child can be a lot, but having two children can be totally overwhelming. Suddenly you have two sets of feet to keep an eye on at all times, and this can be difficult. But, it is made easier by the addition of a good double stroller.
In this guide, we will be taking a look at some of the best double strollers on the market for infants and toddlers. We will also be looking at some key things to consider when buying a double stroller. So with no further ado, let’s get started.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Our favorite stroller on the market is the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Ultra Stroller. This stroller is the best option on the market if you have a baby and a toddler, because it has one main focus, and that is convenience.
When you have 2 young children, you need to make everything as stress-free and easy as possible, and this stroller allows for this. One of the main things that offers this is that this stroller can easily fold away with the use of just a single hand.
But, it is also very convenient to use because it comes with an additional storage basket on the bottom of the stroller to hold all the things that you need for your children. So, this is definitely one to consider.
- Additional Storage - When you have two children, you need to carry a lot of things around with you. Carrying around extra things is made easy with this stroller as it has an additional storage basket.
- Fold with One Hand - Some strollers are difficult to fold down when you need to, but this stroller is easy to fold. In fact, you only need one hand to fold it down, so it is easy to fold away.
- Includes Rear Standing Platform - As well as having a front and rear seat, suitable for newborn and toddlers, this stroller also comes with a standing platform at the rear which is perfect for active toddlers who won’t settle.
- The Brakes Stick a Little at first - When it is new, the brakes on this stroller will stick a little, but this problem will go away as you begin to use the stroller more regularly.
Another brilliant choice is the Evenflo Pivot Xpand Modular Travel System. This stroller is the perfect choice if you have two young children, but have one child who spends time at daycare or with a family member.
This is because this stroller can easily be converted between a double and a single stroller, depending on what is most convenient for you.
As well as this, this stroller can also be configured in 22 different ways, allowing you plenty of different options so that you can find the one that works perfectly for you and your children.
But that isn’t the best thing about this stroller, the best thing is that this stroller requires absolutely no tools to put together, making it incredibly convenient and one of the best options available.
- Can be used as a Single/Double - This stroller is perfect if you regularly only take one child out at a time, as it can be converted into a single stroller as well as being used as a double stroller.
- Configure in 22 different ways - If you are fussy about the exact design of your stroller, this is an excellent choice because it can be configured in 22 different ways, ensuring you will find the perfect set up for your children.
- No Tools Needed - Some strollers are difficult to set up because they require different tools to lock the different components in place, but absolutely zero tools are necessary for putting this stroller together.
- Click Connect System is sometimes Ineffective - This stroller is supposed to simply lock in place, but some components will require a little force to ensure everything is clicked into place.
You should also consider the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Stormy Stroller, this is similar to the Baby Trend stroller that we spoke about earlier, but it has some notable differences.
These differences include the fact that it is travel system compatible, which means that you can use any car seat with this stroller, and it will fit.
This means that you do not need a separate car seat for your car, you can simply use your regular car seat and attach this to the stroller to carry your newborn.
With this, and the fact that this is convenient to use, there is no doubt at all that this is one of the best strollers on the market if you have an infant and a toddler.
- Tandem Design - The tandem design of this stroller ensures that you will be able to easily move around when you are out, without worrying about bumping into things.
- Travel System Compatible - You can easily swap out the regular seat design of this stroller for car seats, making this stroller travel system compatible and reducing the amount of room that this stroller takes up in your vehicle.
- Convenient to use - Easily activate the brake of this stroller with a single foot, and easily fold it away with one hand, making it easy to use even when you have two children.
- Value for Money - This stroller is excellent for the price that you are paying, but it isn’t anything fancy, so you should bear this in mind when buying.
Another brilliant choice is the Graco Ready2Grow LX 2.0 Double Stroller. This is an incredibly convenient stroller to use because it is a double stroller that acts like a single.
By this, we mean that it easily folds away, just like a single stroller would, making it incredibly simple to use when you also have two children to look after.
As well as this, it is compatible with all Graco branded car seats, and also comes with lots of different sitting options, making it great for fussy toddlers. So, if you are looking for a convenient stroller with lots of options, this might be the one for you.
- Folds like a Single - This stroller accommodates two children at any one time, but it is easy to fold away, almost as if it is a single stroller.
- Compatible with all Graco Car Seats - You do not need to buy new car seats for this stroller, it is compatible with all Graco car seats, so if you already own them, you can simply use those car seats.
- Lots of Different Sitting Options - This stroller comes with two stroller seats, an additional bench seat, and a standing platform. So if you have a busy toddler, there will be lots of places for them to sit.
- Better Suited for Shorter People - Due to the design of this stroller, you might find that the rear standing platform catches on your feet if you exceed 5 foot 10 inches in height.
Finally, we would recommend the Joovy Caboose Too Graphite Stand-on Stroller. This stroller is perfect for parents with an infant and a toddler because it can be adapted as your children grow.
So, you can make alterations to this stroller as your children age to ensure that you get your money out of it.
It is also a great choice because it comes with a universal car seat adapter, which ensures that you can use any car seat with this stroller, no matter what make or model it is.
So, if you want to get good use out of your investment in a stroller, there’s no denying that this might be one of the best options for your money.
- The rear Seat has a Recline Option - The rear seat (designed for a toddler) comes with a reclining seat, which is perfect for when your child falls asleep.
- Universal Car Seat Adapter Included - This stroller comes with a universal car seat adapter, which means that it can be used with any car seat, even if it wasn’t made by this company.
- Adapt this Stroller Over Time - This stroller can be altered and adapted as your children grow, so it is an excellent investment of your money.
- Difficult to Turn Corners - The design of this stroller means that you have to lift the front of your stroller in order to turn it around tight corners, such as shopping aisles in grocery stores.
The double strollers that we have looked at above are some of the best options on the market. But, double strollers are not cheap, so you might want to have an even better knowledge of what to look for before you buy. If this is the case, you are in the right place because we have put together this handy buyer’s guide full of information that you might want to know. So, let’s take a look.
Style of Stroller
First things first, you need to appreciate that there are lots of different styles of double strollers. So, when you are looking at the different types of double strollers available on the market, don’t be overwhelmed when you realize that they are very different from one another.
In terms of appearance, there will be lots of different strollers. But, in terms of style, there are only really 2 types of stroller that you might encounter. They are tandem strollers and twin strollers. Tandem strollers are positioned so that one child will be sitting in front of the other, whereas twin strollers have them positioned side by side.
Depending on the age of your children, a different style of stroller might be more appropriate. If you have two toddlers, then a twin stroller might be the better option as it will prevent arguments over who sits in front, and ensure both children have the same view when you are out. But, if you have a newborn and a toddler, we would always recommend a tandem stroller.
Another important thing to consider with double strollers, or any stroller for that matter, is the weight. This is especially important if you have a double stroller, as it will be holding the weight of 2 children at any given time. So, you do not want the stroller to weigh too much before it has any children in it.
A lightweight stroller is very important as you will spend a lot of your time pushing it around. But, you do not want the stroller to be too light, as this could make it weak or prone to breaking. If you are going to push two of your children around in this stroller, you want it to be strong enough to hold them safely, without being too heavy that it is difficult to push.
So, when it comes to deciding which double stroller to buy for your children, it is important to consider your situation, the age of your children, and your own strength before you buy.
The Area you Live in
Finally, you want to think about the area that you live in before you buy a double stroller. Not only the area that you live in, but also the lifestyle that you lead and your own personal situation.
If you are very busy, then a tandem stroller might be the better option because they are less bulky, and easier to fit through doorways and tight spaces. Whereas, with a twin stroller, you might find yourself bumping into things and generally being a little more clumsy.
Likewise, if you live in an apartment block with an elevator that regularly breaks down, then a lightweight double stroller would be more important.
Should you live in the city, then most strollers will be able to handle the concrete pavements. But, if you live in the countryside, and regularly experience uneven terrain, then a stroller with heavy-duty wheels would be more appropriate.
As well as this, you need to consider things such as adjustable handles (if you and your partner will be using it), and the ability to collapse the stroller if you regularly use public transport or taxis. These are all things you might forget to think about, but they are incredibly important when buying a stroller.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a double stroller for 2-year-old and newborn?
If you have two children that are close together in age, then a double stroller is a must. So, if you have two children with an age gap of 2 years or less between them, you should invest in a double stroller.
With this age gap, children tend to do well in pretty much any style of double stroller, so bear this in mind when you are looking to buy one. Using a double stroller allows you to supervise your children better, and makes going out and about a lot easier. So, if you have a newborn and a 2-year-old, we would suggest buying a double stroller.
What age do toddlers stop using strollers?
If you have had two children arrive fairly close together in age, you might still be learning about child development for your older child when your youngest is still a baby.
For example, you might be wondering at what age your child should stop using a stroller. Generally speaking, it is advised that you begin to transition your child away from a stroller once they pass the age of 3 years. But remember, all children are different, and they will develop at different rates and speeds.
So, if your toddler takes a little longer to adjust to not using their stroller, that is alright, don’t worry, all children grow differently.
Can you put a newborn in a double stroller?
Yes, you can put a newborn in a double stroller. But, it is advised that you do not leave your newborn baby in a stroller for too long. This is because most double strollers have a component that is quite like a car seat for newborn babies.
Newborn babies should not be left in a car seat for extended periods, and the same principle applies to strollers. A double stroller is an absolute lifesaver if you have two young children, especially if one is a newborn. But don’t leave your newborn in the stroller for too long, as this could have a negative impact on their health and development.