As urban parents, there are certain requirements that a stroller must meet. It must be compact, lightweight, easy to manoeuvre, have adequate storage, and, many would argue, elegant and trendy. But with so many different strollers on the market promising optimal ease for city parents, it can be difficult to know which one to choose.
Don’t panic- we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll guide you through the very best strollers on the market right now that are specifically designed for making city parenting that little bit easier. See below for our top finds and where to buy them, and read on to our handy Buyer’s Guide where you can find out what to look for when purchasing a new stroller.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Baby Trend Expedition stroller takes the top spot in our list as it is a great all-terrain stroller that can be used on a variety of surfaces, including dirt trails and roads, grass, cracked sidewalks, gravel, and bike trails.
While most parents who purchase this stroller are not serious runners or avid joggers, they do enjoy going for brisk walks from location to location in the city.
After becoming a parent, maintaining an active lifestyle can be challenging. The Baby Trend Expedition Jogger could make things a little easier. It is created to provide a safe jogging experience for both you and your baby.
But even if you don't like jogging, this stroller is perfect for those who need to get around in the hustle and bustle of the city, with a baby in tow.
The ergonomically designed handle is another fantastic feature. It's lengthy and stretches from one side to the other, allowing you to have a good grasp. Baby Trend coated it with rubber for comfort and to keep your hands from slipping if they get sweaty.
This stroller performs well in all weather conditions. Baby Trend includes a wide sun canopy with an extendable visor to provide complete coverage. If the sun is shining at an angle, you can rotate it for an extra shield.
The larger 16-inch rear air-filled tires and 12-inch front wheel help to provide a smooth ride over a variety of terrain.
They're essentially bicycle tires, and that style of tire performs far better on rough surfaces, as well as sidewalks. The youngest age for a baby to ride this stroller without the infant car seat is 6 months, and the maximum weight for your baby to ride is 50 pounds.
- Maneuverability - Depending on the terrain you're walking or running on, or if you need to maneuver smoothly in and out of crowds, you can lock the front wheel or allow it to swivel.
- Easy-fold mechanism - The stroller has a trigger fold that makes folding it quick and easy. To fold the stroller down to a more compact size, simply pull up two hooks on either side, and it will fold up into itself.
- Plenty of storage - Two cup holders and a closed storage compartment are located near the handlebars on the parents' console.
- It’s comfortable - Both the seat and the canopy are fully adjustable for your baby's comfort in every aspect, even when on the move in the city.
- It’s heavy - Considering it’s designed to be used on the go, this stroller is a little bulkier than other models made for city living.
Next up is the Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System- it’s versatile and stylish and perfect for city living. It has three modes, each of which is reversible. The baby car seat, stroller seat, and carriage mode are among these settings.
Remember that each of these positions can be front-facing or rear-facing, giving you a total of six seating options. Large rear wheels and a full-coverage canopy provide comfort and sturdiness.
Maintain a smooth ride while shielding your baby from the sun and other outside factors.
The safety elements are maybe the most significant element of this Evenflo stroller. Anyone who has a child understands how important it is to keep them as safe as possible, especially when living in a city.
The Pivot Modular stroller has undergone rollover and side-impact testing for your peace of mind.
It also has an anti-rebound bar to decrease the amount of rebound that occurs during a frontal impact. The belt lock-off system keeps the base securely in place. This product's safety levels are so high that it has structural integrity that is twice the federal crash test standard.
Aside from these key advantages, this stroller system has features such as a baby cushion inlay, easy parent cup holders, ergonomic handles, and a storage basket.
- Flexible travel system - It’s a stroller and car seat combo - so you’ll always have both handy. The car seat is fitted with SafeMax design.
- Versatile and lightweight - This stroller has a modular frame that can adjust to 6 different settings.
- Easy seat to stroller transfer - This car seat and stroller set has a stay-in-car base that enables for a rapid and safe baby car seat transfer from stroller to car.
- Lots of storage - It includes a large storage basket for both parent and baby items.
- Limited use - This stroller and car seat combo isn’t fully adjustable, meaning it doesn’t grow with your baby, so you’ll only get a couple of years use out of it.
The Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience is one of the most sought after umbrella strollers on the market right now. This is probably Because it has a large maximum weight, a deep recline, is relatively lightweight, and is inexpensive.
And it is exactly what the majority of city parents look for in a stroller. Ideal for on-the-go parents who enjoy doing errands around town, going to the mall, amusement parks, or commuting
It's light enough to throw over your shoulder when you're on the run, weighing only 12 pounds. It has a cup holder, a large basket, and a storage compartment for small stuff, so storage will not be an issue. This is a pretty large basket for such a small stroller.
The adjustable canopy filters out 99.9% of UVA and UVB light. The canopy is a little modest, but it has a pop-out sun visor that will provide your baby with extra shade.
This stroller comes in nine different colours: lime, black, tropical green, pink, tangerine, blue, citrus, yellow, and Newport pink. The seat is available in seven different types, all of which are black. The yellow and pink chairs also have a navy seat. All have a silver frame.
- Lightweight - This stroller is lightweight, weighing in at just 12 pounds, making it easy to move around and carry when you need to.
- Plenty of storage - The large storage basket is big enough to fit a standard diaper bag and some extras. There’s also a cup holder, which is removable.
- Easy-fold design - You can unfold and fold this stroller in under a minute, with just one hand!
- Comfortable - This stroller ensures your baby is always comfortable thanks to the smooth recline feature.
- Can tip over - This stroller doesn’t handle uneven weight distribution well, so if you put too many heavy bags on the handles, it could tip over.
Next up has to be the Graco NimbleLite stroller. It is one of the best lightweight strollers for parents that need convenience on the go. Because of its lightweight construction and flexibility to fold into smaller proportions, it is easy to manoeuvre.
The stroller is one of the lightest on the market, weighing only just 12 pounds, and is available in two colours. It folds effortlessly in a single step into a tiny size that is easy to transport.
With its rubber wheels and rear brake, you will be able to provide your baby with the most comfortable rides in a variety of terrains. The multi-position reclining seat ensures your child's comfort.
The one-step, compact fold provides on-the-go convenience. Attach any Graco infant car seat directly to the stroller with a secure, one-second attachment.
Essentially, the stroller has enough storage to hold all of your baby's necessities. It also features a tray with cup holders for you to keep your belongings on.The stroller is fully equipped and extremely lightweight.
It also comes with several accessories that make it a very convenient choice for any busy city parent.
- Plenty of storage - This stroller features a parent’s tray with 2 cup holders, as well as a removable tray for the baby- ideal for snacks on the go.
- Easy-fold design - This stroller easily folds down in just one step into a compact size for on the go convenience and home storage.
- Lightweight and nimble - This stroller is great for whizzing around the city as it only weighs 12 pounds- one of the lightest models on the market right now.
- Easy car seat transferral - It comes fitted with a one click-connect design and is compatible with most car seats.
- Not durable - The folding mechanism of this stroller is a little flimsy compared to some other brands.
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 is a popular all-terrain stroller with a small footprint that may be used with an optional car seat or carrycot. It has the one-handed folding mechanism that has made Baby Jogger pushchairs so popular among city parents.
The tires are made from rubber and are filled with their signature “forever air”- which isn’t actually air at all - it’s foam. This means that you won’t have to worry about ever getting a puncture.
The frame of the stroller itself is very strong and durable and it can tolerate lots of mileage and withstand some impacts, making it perfect for those parents maneuvering through busy city streets.
It glides on all surfaces, providing your baby with a comfortable ride. Its agility makes it an excellent choice for those who enjoy adventurous family activities off the beaten path.
The handlebars are completely adjustable, ranging in length from 109.5cm to 112.5cm. It also has a handle fitted with an ergonomic grip for hanging your belongings from.
When compared to other strollers, the basket is not as convenient to access, but it is large enough to accommodate a couple of shopping bags.
- Convertible - The City Mini GT can be converted into a travel system with included car seat adapters for City Go model. It also works with the most popular car seat brands.
- Great wheels - This stroller is fitted with forever tires, which is essentially a special foam that prevents you from ever getting a puncture.
- Plenty of storage - There is a large mesh storage pocket in the back of the seat that is very handy especially since there is no parent console included.
- Attractive design - This is a high-end stroller and it certainly looks the part. It looks sleek and attractive and is available in six different colors.
- Hard to access basket - Due to the design of the stroller seat, the basket underneath is pretty tricky to access.
Parenting in the city has many advantages, but it also has its own set of obstacles. One of them is finding the best stroller for your needs. A stroller is a large investment, so make sure you consider all of your options before making a decision.
Before making a purchase, consider your lifestyle and how you intend to use your stroller. Here are a few things to think about and questions to ask yourself while deciding which stroller will best suit your family's needs.
Safety comes first, no matter what stroller you eventually decide to put your infant in. Strollers today should meet basic safety standards, such as having a five-point safety harness strap that is easy for you to secure and unbuckle but not for a child, and having reliable brakes. Examine the frame for any sharp edges or areas where young fingers and toes could become entangled.
Some strollers come with additional safety features such as puncture-proof tires and anti-tipping technology. Strollers designed for city living tend to be more lightweight, which can make them less durable.
Ease of Use
You’ll need to consider how easy the stroller will be to use everyday in a busy city setting. We recommend ensuring that it’s compact enough to fit in your trunk, or on public transport if necessary.
Also make sure you choose a model that is light enough to carry up stairs to your apartment, or over high kerbs. Choosing something that’s easily washable will be a lifesaver in the city too, as stains and wear and tear are going to be inevitable.
Consider what else you'll be carrying in addition to your baby. A spacious basket behind the seat is perfect for a diaper bag, wallet and grocery bags. But what about your phone, keys, refreshments, and snacks? Cup holders (for your drink and a sippy cup) and little storage areas for keys and phones would also be useful.
The ability to simply adjust the height of the handlebars will make pushing much more comfortable for you, especially if you are of a different height than your partner or anyone else using the stroller. Separate handles, which are popular on strollers, bend a lot when pressure is applied.
A handle bar may be a more comfortable option, although a surprising number of bars are oval or square in shape and can be difficult to use after a while.
Because babies cannot support their own weight and must be in a lie-flat posture, the angle of the recline on the backrest of the stroller is critical. The best pushchairs for newborn babies have a reclining angle of at least 150 degrees on the lowest setting.
Some reclining mechanisms are smoother than others, and the best ones can be controlled with one hand and are simple to use even while a baby is in the seat. A lever, buttons, a back bar, and a strap or drawstrings are all available for reclining. The latter two are usually the most difficult to operate.
If you plan on going for sunny hikes or often find yourself getting caught in the rain and wind, an adjustable canopy is a must-have feature. Canopies shield your child from UV rays and other weather elements.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of stroller do I need for a newborn?
Not all pushchairs are appropriate for a newborn. Because newborns can't support their own weight because they're so small, their needs differ from those of older babies and toddlers. It is critical that they lie flat to support their developing spine and to help them to breathe easily.
Does the size of the stroller matter?
Yes. Bulky and weighty pushchairs can be difficult to push, lift, and manoeuvre. A decent pushchair can be large without being cumbersome to operate.
Which is better - foam or air tires?
While air-filled tires are the norm for most strollers, some models are filled with forever air, which is a type of special foam that prevents punctures. If you can, we recommend opting for a stroller with foam tires, especially if you live in the city, as the busy sidewalks are always littered with sharp objects that could cause a blowout.